This year marks the 40th Anniversary of NDI's founding.
NDI promoted democratic reform in the Philippines and Chile in the 1980s; in Eastern Europe after the fall of the Berlin Wall; and across Africa, Asia and Latin America in the 1990s following the end of the Cold War. Throughout the 2000s, we have promoted the political leadership of women, youth and marginalized communities, information integrity, open government and environmental resilience.
NDI has worked in 156 countries and territories during our history and today, we have programming in over seventy countries. We are privileged to work with exceptional individuals whose tireless efforts on behalf of human dignity in their countries – and beyond – seek to make the world more just, secure and prosperous.
Our 40th Anniversary is a time to reflect on lessons from the past that will inform our future. It is a time to celebrate the work of our partners and, most importantly, to honor our amazing staff.
Help us continue to ensure that democracy thrives in every corner of the world. Stay informed (newsletter sign up) and support NDI's work on behalf of democracy defenders and freedom-loving people all over the globe.
"Big Impact" Success Stories
- Sierra Leone: A groundbreaking gender equality bill passes
- Climate Change Takes Center Stage in Nepal
- Poland's Cities on the Front Lines of Russia’s War
- Inclusive Election Observation - Grace’s Story
- Mobilizing Jordan’s Youngest and Brightest: Ana Usharek - “I Participate”
- How LGBTQI+ Groups in Zimbabwe fight for change and the right to political participation
- Rebuilding Voter Trust Through Parliamentary Debates
- Fights for Victory on the Information Front
- Violence is #NottheCost of Women’s Engagement in Salvadoran Politics
- Building an Anti-Corruption Youth Network in the Indo-Pacific