Key Considerations: Tabulation
Last updated on December 17, 2013
For Implementing Bodies
- Is results transmission simultaneously conducted through more than one channel?
- Is the path of results transmission clearly defined?
- Is the tabulation process designed to be transparent for party representatives and observers, and is the tabulation publicly available in a verifiable format?
For Oversight Actors
- Are sufficient security measures in place to prevent interference with the electronic transmission process?
- Are polling station level results published on the Internet in an easily-verifiable format?
- Is the tabulation process at all levels fully transparent for party representatives and observers? For example, can observers witness the data being uploaded or entered into the tabulation computers?
- How has the announcement of results changed with the implementation of new technologies (i.e., are results announced more quickly?), and how does this affect the post-election political dynamic and overall public confidence?